Wednesday, July 29, 2009

My rabbit keeps urinating on my kitten, anyone know why?

I have a male rabbit and a 7 month old male kitten, they get on quite well in the garden, but have just noticed it seems the rabbit is spraying urine on the cat, does anyone know why?
Answers:
Urine spraying is different than scent marking. Your male kitten is near the age of sexual maturity, and he could be viewing him as "competiton". The rabbit is showing dominance by peeing on your cat.
"Scent Marking 鈥?Rabbits can use their feces to mark their territory and to communicate with other rabbits. In addition rabbits of both sexes have scent glands under their chin. They will mark important items (including other rabbits) in their territory with the clear secretion from this gland, which is undetectable to humans but very interesting to other rabbits."

"Urine 鈥?There are two methods with which rabbits urinate. One is simply to empty the bladder in a normal position and the other is lifting the hindquarters and spraying urine on a vertical surface. Most often spraying is done by intact male rabbits to mark another male rabbit or during courtship proceedings with a female rabbit. Animals neutered before or shortly after sexual maturity do not usually spray urine."

You may want to consider having your rabbit neutered.
I would assume it thinks the kitten is "his" so he is marking him
Nope. But it made me smile. Maybe the rabbit is jealous of the cat. Or, maybe he senses that the cat is a natural predator, and wants to make sure that the cat is used to 'rabbit' scents. Or maybe he just doesn't like the cat..
Perhaps he's just trying to p!ss the cat off.
maybe the rabbit thinks it,s bunny.
Your male rabbit is marking what is 'his'. If you get him neutered he will probably stop doing it.
im a pro at animals and i'm a assistant vet. your rabbit thinks your kitten belongs to someone else so the rabbit sprays urine on the kitten to claim property and keep them together.
That's weird... My cat keeps peeing on my bunny. Think they are related?
(Seriously though, my bunny's all yellowish)
Perhaps the rabbits just marking its "possessions"?
Keep your kitten away from the rabbit. The urine might get into his eyes and sting.
sounds like the bunny is a bit possessive! a bunny boiler!
I've got a boy rabbit to. He peeed on everything when he was little. Hes not marking his territory like a dog. Rabbits have scent glands under their chins, which they rub on items in which they wish to claim. Does he do that ? My rabbit rubbs his neck on everything. Maybe the cat responds to him peeing on him. Cats are usually rabbits biggest prey. So its weird that they like each other.
male rabbits do this when theyre getting horny!
You need to get him neutered !
Rabbits pee everywhere anytime and it stinks!! Poor kitten.I had an indoor rabbit and 2 cats and they got along well but the rabbit never knew when to back off...I think they are not the most intelligent of animals but good fun! Rabbit pee is very strong so I'd be concerned for the kittens health...may be worth mentioning to vet next time you visit

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, there's nothing I detest more than the smell of cat wee!

    I used to have such an issue with my cats back in the times of living alone with them. You wouldn't accept the commotion they caused! Truly!

    One of my 2 cats (both neutered guys) had taken to painting the majority of my dividers, furniture, and whatever else he could reach. I was alarmed when I got an UV light. He never did that in the majority of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a mate (they cherish one another and did so immediately) however when a weird dark cat fired appearing outside both of my cats went crazy and the more seasoned one (9) began his divider painting, just as the window ornaments out in the kitty room. I couldn't stay aware of it.

    My cats are indoor cats so dislike the stray is really going to get in here yet the two of them detest him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats loathe him as well). I've taken a stab at cleaning with a pet pee compound and afterward spraying some "No More Spraying" however that hasn't worked. He's a tricky little bugger as well; he holds up until he believes I'm not looking and afterward does it. He's discovered that the moment I see him backing his butt looking for trouble he gets shouted at.

    It wasn't until I found "NoMoreCatPee" that I had the option to at long last dispose of this tedious conduct.

    Presently my home doesn't smell like a litter box any longer :)

    Here's a link if you're interested in checking out their site: NoMoreCatPee.com

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete