Friday, July 31, 2009

Oldest age a rabbit SHOULD breed...?

Okay, I've got a pure mini-lop doe, with papers, and she seems to be perfectly healthy.. I used to show her at the fair, and know a lot of things about the ARBA, but have no desires to contact them on this question unless it's a last resort. She's either six or seven, and my mother is hooked on what the judges said about two years ago, about me needing to breed her. They had made a comment about how one of them still bred their rabbit at seven, and that mine should definitely have kits.
So my question is, how old is the oldest that a rabbit should be bred? Not how old they CAN be bred, because I hear that they can be bred until they die, and I'd rather not attempt that if she's too old. I want to know a safe age for a rabbit to be bred, as I don't want to put her, or any kits, at a high risk for dying.
Answers:
I wouldn't take the chance with a 7 year old rabbit who has never been bred before.
Maybe if she had a few litters before, but I just dont think that I personally would take the chance.
If you do, make sure you find your self an immaculate buck and at least get something great out of her.
It may not kill her but it most likely will take time off her life.
k
she seams a little old cause all my bunnys are about 2 years old atleast .i bread them so i wouldnt know about the age 7 but i think she will do fine if shes mature at her age.hope this helps email me if u habve any other questions on rabbit breeding
hope to help you
alexis
NO NO DO NOT BREED HER!!!The onley reson i say that is sense she is over 2 and has not had babies yet giving birth can kill her!

No comments:

Post a Comment