Thursday, July 30, 2009

Newt tank still dirty after cleaning...?

I just did a partial water change in my newt's 10 gallon tank. I was really annoyed, though, because even after that work it's still dirty. It has little brown pieces of poo and some leftover bloodworms that he didn't eat floating around. How do I get it clean? Do I have to take out the stones from the bottom and clean them? Is the filter still working right? It's a 5-15 gallon one and it was brand new a few weeks ago, so it sould be fine. Is it harmful for my newt to be in kind of dirty water?
Answers:
It may be harmful yes, because poo releases certain types of gases that are generally not okay to be inhailed. Think of people working at a sewer treatment plant and how they have be aware of gasses around them. I was thinking that it's possible the dirt and poo has wedged itself under the rocks, or between the rocks, and when you moved them, it came floating up to the surface. Clean off the rocks to see if this helps. Test your filter in a seperate bowl to see if it's working right. Maybe do an experiment by mixing sand and water in a seperate bowl, and putting the filer in. If the sand is still there, then you have a filter problem,but my guess is, there was hidden poo you didn't get when you cleaned it. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment