Thursday, July 30, 2009

New Hermit Crab Help?

OK, so I just got back from PetsMart and I was looking at friends for my hermit crab, and I saw a HUGE one sitting in the corner all by himself and he was snapping the air around him (he was sitting like that when I got my first one a few weeks ago). There was no food at all in with them and the tank smelled like rotten fish. My heart went out to him, so I bought him. He is in a natural shell and he was $3. I figured I would choose him instead of one of the "fancy" crabs (it's what they call the painted ones) which are $10! Well my first crab is still burried but she came out to eat peanut butter lastnight, so I figred I would put him in there to destress without her being all over him. Do I have to worry about him hurting my small (quarter sized) female? He is the size of a baseball and his big claw is bigger than her. He is now sitting in the corner and is still snapping at the air. I put peanut butter, carrots, lettuce and oats near him and he ate but he's still snapping.
Answers:
It's no problem to house crabs of different sizes together. Just make sure that your large water dish (which you will need for the bigger crab) has a way for your little one to climb out. You will also need large hidey spots and small ones.
Before introducing them, give them both a dunk in the water dish. Introducing them with two tanks side by side won't work. They need to smell each other with their antennae. The dunk in the water bowl will give them a common smell.
maybe ushould just keepthem away from eachother for a lil bit and then bring them together and seehowthey do if they do fine then great but if they dont get together maybe just put them in separte cages
keep them in the two separate cages. If they are made of glass, stand them beside each other so they can look at each other...eventually they made start walking towards one another. If they do, then put them in the same tank.
Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment