Friday, July 31, 2009

Open season is declared on alligators following the death of a Labrador dog. Retribution or nuisance removal ?

Following the death of a prized Labrador dog, the Temple Terrace City Council, in Florida, passed a resolution giving trappers 90 days to kill all alligators longer than 9 feet found in the stretch of the river that runs through town. Should the dog's owners be held responsible for the unleashed dog killed by an alligator near the river bed, or should all the threatening alligators be eliminated as a preemptive measure ?
Article: " Gators, steer clear of Temple Terrace 鈥?The City Council gives trappers wide authority."
http://www.sptimes.com/2007/08/10/hillsb...
.
Answers:
We have a law like that around here. I personally agree with it fully because if a alligator is capable of killing a large dog, then it is also capable of killing a small child. While it may seem unreasonable to open season on all large gators for the death of one dog, this law somewhat helps to prevent the death of small children and even other dogs. The larger the alligator - the more powerful ... I believe this law is highly reasonable. While it allows open season on alligators over 9 ft for 90 days, it prohibits the killing of alligators under 9 ft and those over 9 ft for the rest of the year.
Very sad that the wildlife always loses, but if it were your dog who got killed, you would be up in arms against gators too.
It is a fact of life that people move in and wildlife has to go - I don't like it either, but I wouldn't like hungry gators in my neighborhood either - would you?
I think it should have been on leash. The gators were simply acting on instinct. That is a sick law, I wouldnt do that if my prized dog had died like that. The poor gators... the ones over 9 feet are the most beautiful...
I don't believe in killing alligators. That is their natural predatory instinct to kill animals to eat. The dog should have been on a leash and the gators should not have to pay for it. The river is the gators home and territory and they should be respected.
I would say it's the owner's fault--rather than drive out all the alligators, why not just educate people about keeping their dogs safe?
it is just doing what comes naturally to it.. some how they get in these areas and cant get out, people keep them as pets and then let them go. they should catch and release it (there are people who do it) why kill such an amazing animal? yes you could say that is was the owners fault, and if the dog was on a leash it wouldn't have happened. but you never know. it could have just delayed it any how, i wouldn't kill the animal i would get one of the few people out there who will relocate it (they are out there) and i know one it there in Florida.
I think if the dog was running loose, for any reason, and the alligator didn't just leave the river well, the alligator was just doing what alligators do. It's not like the alligator took a half mile hike to find a dog to eat. It's a shame wildlife always has to pay..
I feel bad for the Lab, =-( Poor water pup,.
A 9 foot gator is a good sized critter, and if it can take down an agile, full grown Lab, it can certianly snatch a child. Since people can't seem to control their animals or their children, the gators pay with their lives. Also, if the one has gotten bold enough to grab a big dog, it needs to go. And how does one tell which 9 foot gator grabbed the dog?
As for punishing the owners, I am sure if the Lab is as prized as they say it is, they are pro'lly grieving for their dog. Perhaps they are not local, and don't realize that every large puddle in Fla has the potential to have big reptiles living in them.
Gators used to be on the brink of extinction, but now we have a blue jillion of them. I have no problem with the harvesting of 9 foot gators. I also have no problem with NOT harvesting them. I just wish the poor dog didn't have to be the sacrifice that got the action. I am glad it wasn't a child.
p.s., Dogs ON leashes have been snatched as well,...
Later,
C
First of all, keep your dog on a leash when you're around alligators. DUH! And NO, we shouldn't killing all the gators just because they found a nice well fed meal practically served to them on a platter. I live just south of TT and beLIEVE me - I do NOT let my dogs near fresh water with out being on a leash (even then, I give the water a WIDE berth). Sheesh, some people. Maybe the gator should have taken the PERSON out of the gene pool.
Alligators are not in danger of extinction, so even if the open season was declared on all of them, there wouldn't be a problem there. As long as the alligators are going to be consumed or made into purses, it's cool with me.
They gonna be killin of me and my Bobby's food source! It's not the gators's fault that they got all them teeth and no toothbrush !
Dogs are the Devil!

No comments:

Post a Comment