Wednesday, July 29, 2009

My rabbit doesnt let me hold her all all the time and struggles and pushes hen i try to pick her up, why?

I have a new lop eared rabbit and it lets me stroke it but doesnt like being picked up! I dont want to hurt it as today it esapedand i went to pick it up and it struggled lots and jump out of my hands.
It may be because its new to me but i still worry about it!
If there cpuld be anything rwrong with it please tell me
Thanks
Answers:
Is this a Holland Lop, Mini Lop, or English Lop? If English, it's because they are so darn big that they aren't really comfortable being held. They do best just sitting on your lap and being patted instead of being carried. If it's a Mini Lop or Holland Lop, it just needs some socialization with you. Spend time with your bunny every day, patting, talking softly, offering a couple of treats (bits of banana or sweet potato). If it is a doe, get her spayed. That usually helps. If it's a buck, I'd say get him neutered to control spraying, but personality wise, bucks are usually pretty good as pets. Just be patient and your bunny should come around.
Some animals feel very vunerable when you pick them up... Keep doing it till the rabbit gets more confidence.. If it struggles when you pick it up then dont hang onto it, let it go that way it knows you mean it no harm...
I would thing that rabbits are like kittens in this respect. If they are handled a lot when they are first born they quickly accept this as the norm but if they are just left without handling then it is strange and frightening to them
try holding and feeding it and pet it constantly
spend some quilaty time with it, slowly it will trust you more and more.
Normal I'm afraid. I've had several rabbits thoughout my childhood and their characters vary greatly, some will like to be handled and some will hate it. All you can do is try to be persistant and hope she gets use to it but she may not.
It doesn't like it because it is a rabbit and you are not it's mummy. It isn't a cuddly toy.
Most rabbits are not really happy about being picked up.
I have had many in the house as pets and most of them did not like to be picked up. Most would come and sit by you and loved to be petted or brushed but not picked up. I do not think it is real comfortable for them and it makes them feel like they are trapped. They are after all a prey animal and being able to run away is how they have managed to live for so long and not get eaten. When you pick them up you restrain them and it makes them nervous.
perhaps she just doesn`t feel like it sometimes
it's because not many rabbits like to be held but they are ok if you pet them. when I let my rabbit out free to play I put him back in his cage by letting him play under a towel( like he is burrowing) and pick him up when he is wrapped, head sticking out.hope it helps.
i love rabbit with celery, chopped carrots and a tad of fresh dill. i do mine in steamed gravy until very tender. your question really makes me hungry. i am so hot and hungry for those fuzzy little hoppers.
Well since it's a new bunny it needs to get use to you and your handling. Here is a website that can help you with your new bunny.
You don't say how long you've had it, but maybe it's still not used to you! Take the time to get to know your rabbit, and give it time to get to know you. Treat it gently and don't try and pick it up for a while. You could be picking it up in the wrong way - buy a book and learn how to do this properly. I'm told lop-eared's are very good pets but like all animals, they need to be sure that they can trust you before you can handle them. Good luck.
i think its missing its family a lot.
I had a lop who, despite my best efforts, would not let me pick her up all the time, whereas I had a dutch who hated being picked up and would only let me stroke her when she was on the floor. I believe it's a personality thing. They may get used to you, but that still might not stop them hating to be held. It's the same with cats.
It doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with it, this is a common problem in rabbits, they don't like to be picked up, especially from ground level to you if you're standing, try crouching down in front of it and lifting it towards you, it should get used to it. But try not to pick it up too much, it may eventually get annoyed with you and become quite aggresive, hope it helps x

No comments:

Post a Comment