Monday, May 24, 2010

Sally's thinking about pet insurance - I'm looking for examples of unexpected vet costs to convince her.

Sally's thinking about pet insurance. Personally I think it makes sense, I get the impression that it can cost ALOT of money to use a vet in an emergency. Can anyone give me examples of things that have happened and estimated cost please? I don't really know what - hit by a car, unexpected illness - she hasn't been a pet owner for long and I'm not one so I have no idea.
Answers:
Pet Insurance isn't just for the emergencies it is also for preventive measures. I personally have pet insurance on both of my dogs. Good thing too because they have gotten into mischief in their short lives. We stayed in a motel room in Washington left the dogs in the room while we went out to eat. When we came back Rockie was foaming at the mouth and having seizures. We are out of town now with a sick puppy. Rush him to the nearest emergency room and he was in icu for the rest of the day and night and half of the next day. With the insurance I had to pay $500.00 without the insurance the bill would have been over $2000.00. At home about a month ago. I let Rockie and Bandit out in the backyard. When I stepped out 3 stray dogs came after me. Rockie being the "killer" that he is decided he was going to take on all three dogs. Did I mention Rockie is a Chihuahua. Well the one dog grabbed him before I could and had him in his mouth. Another trip to the emergency room. I only had to pay $50.00 this time and it was an after hour call with stitches, shots , xray and medication. So Pet insurance is a great thing to have. You never know what animals may or may not get into. Also Care Credit is another great thing to look into. It is a medical creditcard. You can use it for your medical bills along with vet bills.
with an operation you could think in the direction of a 1000鈧?depends also on what kind of pet of course. i had a dog who has pretty sick, i can tell you that麓s not cheap, so get the insurance and good luck
Unexpected vet cost- Your pet eats something (a sock, a ball...) and it gets a blockage in its digestive tract. That requires emergency surgery and can cost around 1000 bucks, depending on your pet.
Another good one, some illnesses can cause your male pet to have prostate problems which can lead to a urinary emergency... and surgery... and it ain't cheap.
Your pet can break a limb and need it surgically set. Your pet can catch a virus and need to be kept at the vet for supportive care.
Those are some of the ones I can think of.
The emergency vet in my area just for the vet to look at the animal is $300.00 Not including cost for the vet to work on the animal. I think insurance is worth it.

1 comment: