Monday, May 24, 2010

Rabbit?? cat flea and tick spray??

i have kittens and i saw a flea on one so i sprayed the two but i have a rabbit also and i was wondering if i could spray her to just in case will it be toxic i want to know so i dont spray her and she licks and and gets entoxicated
Answers:
Hi Jay,
I actually lost on of my cats after he got kidney failure after using off-the-shelf worming tablets. Since then I always get the treatments from the vet.
I can also confirm what kat M says; my vet told me that one of her patients died after a a store-bought flea spray had been used on her; she couldn't stop the cat from having fits afterwards.
When my cat was a kitten they were seriously infested with fleas and the owner sprayed the entire litter with an off-the-shelf spray which resulted in them being upset and drooling and spitting. Fortunately they survived but it was very worrying at the time.
The off-the-shelf medication is cheaper and easier but one always takes a chance. I have learnt that it is better to invest the time and money to go to the vet as it can save a lot of sadness and remorse in the future.
Even if your cat flea spray is from the vet you ought to ask if it is safe to use on the rabbit.
best wishes
chirpy
As a vet tech, i know we have used the flea and tick preventative in the oil drop form. Advantage or front line. NO ADVANTIX! bad for cats. The ones that come in a applicator and apply on the back, under the fur. Anyways we have used advantage (the smallest kitten/cat weight one) on guinea pigs and large rats, so I'm sure you can use it on a rabbit. Make sure to only use one drop nothing more and that should work. hope that answers your question
should get special sprays or treatments from your local vet. I have had 4 different vet's tell me that the over the counter treatments can cause seizes and death .because it somehow gets in there nerve sytem .
please cheach whith your vet!!
I would not use any sprays or powders on a rabbit, but you can use either Revolution or Advantage spot-on treatment. Use the kitten dose.
Advantage kills fleas. Revolution kills fleas, lice, and both fur mites and ear mites.
DO NOT use Frontline in any form 鈥?it is deadly to rabbits.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment