Saturday, May 22, 2010

Puppies or dogs bhind bars? Which states?

I know that some states have puppies and dogs from shelters that go in to prison, and I am looking to adopt one... NY (where I live) only has dogs that become assistance dogs (Though it is a great contribution) but I would happily travel to other states in the area to adopt, I went to PA for my Bulldog and OH for my Boston. My daughter's Dad is serving time in a NY state correctional facility and in some weird way it would be like having him here with us...
Answers:
Circle-tail is one group in Ohio that handles adoptions within the prison systems. They may have groups in other states. Try contacting them through their website.
good luck
I don't know about New York, but I know that the prison in Leavenworth KS has a program called Safe Harbor that takes dogs into prisons. I think that they list animals up for adoption on petfinder.com
i have never heard of a prison taking in dogs except for assistant dogs. I know some prison use to train the wild mustangs but now most of those dont either no funding. I would suggest you contact the prison where her dad is and see if you can suggest a program like that to help rehabilate the men as well as the dogs and push till you get it approved. Then try to adopt the dog her Dad trains. I might even start by getting other to sign a PETition (LOL) you could start with people from the shelters or those that have adopted pets vet's offices other pet owners pet shops and then work you way to the inmates and their family. Best of luck
Oh stop. It has nothing to do with him.
That's weird.
That's a heck of a reaon to get a dog. If you want to get a dog, then do so because you want the DOG, not because of some weird hangup about a felon.

No comments:

Post a Comment