Monday, May 24, 2010

Rabbits Heat Stroke?

I have a male rabbits and a female rabbit that live outside and they're both housed in separate NIC condos. I was wondering can they die of heat stroke during the summer if their cages are in the shade? They have plenty of water and when its too hot, they run in their mini crates that I left in their condo so they have something to hide in. I left mini pillows and blankets in their crates so they have something to hide under, will they be fine?
Answers:
Rotate between between bottles of frozen water for the bunnies. Put them where the rabbits lie down most, and when they melt, rinse, put in freezer, and take another one out. I don't know about your bunnies, but my bunny used to LOVE water. Many don't, but you should try giving them a shallow pan of water, about 1 inch, and let them splash around.
Yes, any and all animals can die of heat stroke, however, giving them shade, as well as fresh cool water every couple hours helps reduce that risk. However, I don't recommend it. Animals are a lot like us, they feel the heat, and bunnies, are really made for the heat, either. Perhaps bringing them in for the summer wouldn't be a bad idea...just in case, they'd be happier that way, too :)
Wouldn't you be happier in a cool and refreshing place than a hot and uncomfortable one?
It depends on just how hot is gets and the humidity. Rabbits are very sensitive to heat and can have a heat stroke if over heated. Over 82.4F and they can be stressed. They can't sweat, and though they can pant, it doesn't cool them effectively. They also tend not to drink enough when it is too hot. If you aren't sure, it would be safer to bring them indoors, at least during the hottest parts of the day.
There are certain types of rabbits that can be out in the heat and others have to be in a cool place. The heat does damage to their brains. It will effect other types ofsmall animals also.
Rule of thumb: 80 degrees, watch them. 85 degrees, go out and cool them off or bring 'em in. 90 degrees can definitely kill.
A used pak-n-play portable play pen with a leaf trash bag over the padding will make it leak proof. You can keep them in that indoors if they are altered or keep them in separate bathrooms if they are not.
You can fill up one gallon milk jugs with water and put them in the cage with the rabbits and that will give them something cool to snuggle up against. I also used to have a fan blowing into the area where my rabbit was when she was outside in the summertime on the porch. My rabbit is much happier now that she lives inside in the house in a dog crate with a dog yard attached around it. She has a/c, tile floors and loves the indoors. She doesn't shed as bad and has been much healthier.
%26lt;a href="%26lt;img">http://www.blinkingtextlive.co... src="http://img105.mytextgraphics.com/blinkin... border="0" alt="Blink Tag html - http://www.blinkingtextlive.co... />%26lt;/a>%26lt;br />%26lt;br />%26lt;a href="http://www.blinkingtextlive.co... target="_blank">javascript blinking text%26lt;/a>

yes
they will be fine just be shure to give them plenty of ice cold water
if I were you, i'd build their NIC condos inside; they'll be happier and live longer. I don't know where you live, but if it's anything like where I live, it's horribly hot. My rabbit's condo is in my room and he even gets hot in my air conditioned house, so he flops out on top of the air vent, if that tells you anything about what a rabbit wants.
If you do keep them outside though, don't give them ice water. I don't know if it applies to rabbits the same as dogs, but I read/heard from a friend that giving ice water to animals outside when it's really hot can cause their stomachs to bloat because of the huge temperature difference. (See the link below) Anyway, thought i might share that tip.
If you don't want them to get over hot and cant bring them inside you could put frozen watter bottles in the crates you gave them. that give them something cool to lay up against. Also make sure they have plenty of water. I lost a rabbit to heatstroke when I was little because I forgot to give it water.
Yes they can. I had my rabbit for five and a half years (she went missing a few months ago) and I live in Australia so it gets up to 40 degrees (that's 104 for America). As soon as it hit 30 degrees (80) I would put her in the garage where it was cool. I could see her suffering sometimes. She would lie stretched out and breath really fast. I also used to protect her from the cold winter night too.

No comments:

Post a Comment