Saturday, May 22, 2010

Question Please help!?

Are rats good pets? How often do you have to clean their cages?Do they smell? If you go on vacation what do you do with them?
Answers:
My daughter has a female rat and she does not smell. I was a little afraid of getting a rat (tail kind of freaked me out), but now I hold Zelda all the time. She climbs all over us and will sit on my daughter's shoulder while she is on the computer. She will also crawl into her sweatshirt pockets and take a nap, too.
As for cleaning the cage, my daughter does it about once a week, gives her fresh food every day (loves yogurt drops--she's addicted to them, lol; she sometimes bites my fingers--not too hard--just to get her yogurt), and gives her a good brushing with a soft brush (never heard of bathing a rat). For exercise, she is put into a rodent ball and runs around in downstairs or in my daughter's room.
For vacation time, get a friend to "rat-sit" or you can have somebody come to the house once a day to check on your pet. Make sure it is somebody who would be able to handle picking up the rat in order to let it socialize some, as rats are pretty social creatures.
I would say that a rat would make a great pet if it is well cared for and not mistreated. Handled carefully, it will be gentle with you and others. My 2-year-old will hold Zelda in her lap and will feed her yogurt drops, too. (Zelda has not bitten my toddler, ever!)
Good luck!
rats are very good pets. they are interactive and very affectioante. you should clean the cage about every other day and really scrub it once a week. if you go on vacation find a friend or neighbor to watch them!
Rats are awesome pets...in fact I'm sitting beside one right now. I have been litter box training mine so i don't have to clean the cage just the litter box. The cage does not smell but the rat himself has a bit of a musky smell to him. I usually bath him weekly and he doesn't seem to mind. When i go away for longer than a weekend i have someone watch him just so he doesn't get lonely. There is loads of information on the Internet about owning pet rats so read read read..
Their great!! I love em!!

No comments:

Post a Comment