Saturday, May 22, 2010

Puppy and Guinea pig advice :)?

I have a 5 month old Westie puppy and a 4 1/2 year old guinea pig. They have only met breifly (for 5-10 min.) during which time my puppy started barking uncontrollably and scared my guinea pig back into his igloo.
My guinea pig (whom I've had for 4 years) is very social and usually not scared of anything, but my puppy's high pitched bark scares him really bad...
Anyway, I have two houses, my guinea pig lives in one, and my dog lives in another, we are going to sell one of our houses and move into the house where my puppy lives. I am afraid the move will be traumatizing for my guinea pig (he doesnt do well with change..) what can I do to make it easier for him and get him used to my puppy?
Also, it would be great if my puppy and my guinea pig could get along, do you think there is any possibility of that happening? If so, do you have any suggestions to help get them used to each other?
Thanks!
Answers:
Keep them away from each other in the house. Don't let them meet. Guinea pigs are prey animals, so of course they are going to be frightened.
It is possible to own both and have peace. It just takes precautionary plans. Never have the dog around during floortime. Keep your cage up high. The smell of the pigs drove my dog crazy for a few days, but he'll get used to it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, it's worth reading. Looks like you've experience having those two pets ^^.. Thanks for sharing us this information.


    Dog fence | pet fences

    ReplyDelete