Saturday, May 22, 2010

Puppy Mills & Such?

I am a huge animal lover, and if I had a huge farm or something, I would probably have like 50 dogs. I took my little sister to the pound yesterday (that is where she volunteers) and they had so many animals that had to be put down for one reason or another. It was so sad. I wanted to take them all home with me. Then I was reading up on the puppy mills and dog fights, and animal cruelty. It makes me so sad. Is there a BIG way to get involved with this without having a whole lotta money? I hate that people get dogs/cats and then decide they can't take care of them and send them to the pound to be put to sleep. I have already signed petitions that I would never buy a pet from a pet store, but can't I do more? Any ideas? I cannot take anymore animals, either. I live in an apartment with a black lab, and its hard enough to give him the exercise he needs! Thanks!
Answers:
Yes Tress, there is much than you can do. You have a voice.
Educate yourself. Get the facts - and spread the word. Do what you can - within your means, and schedule. Don't forget that your first responsiblity lies with yourself and your dog. You can teach others by setting a great example.
You already know that it's not realistic to get more animals. And I think that most animal lovers have that dream of the "farm". But for most of us it isn't possible, and would be a very bad idea.
There is only so much time in a day. And we only have so much to give. If you spread yourself too thin - everyone suffers.
What is most important is that you do something. Discourage breeding. Promote spaying and neutering. Continue to take a stand against cruelty and neglect.
I believe that volunteering is a great idea, but heartbreaking at times. However, it helps to see the big picture. I prefer to volunteer at no-kill shelters, or foster groups. And, if you can afford it - donations are always needed.
Volunteer with a local rescue group or at a local shelter.
Your sister is on the right track - volunteer! You don't have to do shelter work if you find that too emotionally stressful - we need people to do all sorts of things - help at fundraisers, hang posters, walk dogs - the list is endless. I've ended up on our humane society's board of directors and I'm really feeling like I'm making a difference.
nope, there is no way to really get involved without spending at least a little money.
An animal friend of mine once told me that in order to make a small fortune, you need to start out with a large fortune and then buy a horse!
There is just so much financial stuff involved in keeping animals..one thing that many people(often breeders) are doing, is to refuse to sell any animal of theirs without a signed contract from the buyer promising to never breed the animal, and to get it spayed/neutered as soon as it is old enough. I applaud this, as there is no better way to help control the animal population as making sure that dogs are not allowed to be bred irresponsibly.
Volunteer somewhere, use the phone, help email, call anything you are on the right track you care.

No comments:

Post a Comment