Monday, May 24, 2010

Rabbit help?!?

My two month old Holland lop is marking her territory...which wouldn't really bother me except that her urine is a rusty red-ish orange color, and is staining my carpet. Which is weird because she only goes inside her cage, some how its getting out side of it...I've put down cage liners outside her cage, but she still ends up getting it on the carpet.
I have two of them and my first never marked her territory at least not with rusty urine...they share the same cage and I'm thinking thats why shes doing it.
I clean the cage every couple of days, I was thinking this might be the problem, maybe its forcing her to do it all over again...
I've been told that the rusty colored urine is normal, just a sign of marking her space...
Will she ever stop?
Is there a way to keep her from doing this?
Is the rusty color in her urine actually normal?
Answers:
Many rabbits often pass urine that oxidizes to an orange, red, or even brown color. No one knows for sure why this is, although raising Netherland Dwarfs we often found to much protine in the urine caused dark or orange looking urine.
you can buy urine guards at the pet shop which cover the sides of the cage about 12 inches up this should stop them from peeing out the side of the cage
where can i get cage liners? how much?
my rabbits pee gets on my carpet too!
hey thanks ikaffy!! ive looked at other pet stores but they dont seem to have it im going to petsmart
Can you get her a separate cage, that would probably help. If not then try putting a bigger tray underneath the cage to catch the pee, or put plastic down where it's staining so it won't get on the carpet. Dumb ?, are you sure she's doe? it sounds more like a buck marking the territory, but I guess it could be a doe.
The rusty color is normal, there's nothing wrong with her there.
Hope that helps.
My lil bunny got scared and just peed on the spot and left a stain and I bought this stuff called Resolve and it got the stain right out.
your rabbit is still a baby so it probably will have a couple of accidents
have you started litter box training yet?
since you have 2 females living together i would also suggest you get them fixed since that will end the marking of the territory once the hormones cool down
it will also prevent fights in the future
for the color i would contact your rabbits vet none of my rabbits have ever had a rusty red color hmmm... it may be her diet are you feeding them lots of hays such as timothy? that should cut down on the color.
for more information i would suggest going here
http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego...

No comments:

Post a Comment