Friday, May 8, 2009

My neighbors dog killed my cat?

we had it for less than a month, and it was the first time he left our yard. im now worried about the temperment of that dog. our kids play with their kids everyday, should i be worried the dog might attack one of my kids?
Answers:
Dogs are natural chasers, its not that they hate cats just that they see fast movement and want to pursue and track down, for possible food or play. Its a wild instinct still left within them from previous generations. If you don't want to worry about your kids talk to your neighbor and get the kids to introduce themselves to the dog, ask the owner of the dog if it would be alright for the kids to give the dog healthy treats every so often to build trust. Sorry to hear about your cat but it would be advised to keep the cat indoor, it is more of a threat to bring home, lice, fleas, rabies, and parasites to your kids than the fenced neighbor dog is to maul them.
YES - this is why cat should be indoors!
Dogs are cat assassins. If your cat was in the dogs yard that's going to happen. Your kids are safe as the dog is used to them playing with the dog's kids.
The dog should have an enclosed area and should not be allowed to run loose. It's horrible what was done...have you not talked to your neighbor about putting the dog up or calling the police to file a report? I suggest if you get another cat, that it should strictly be an indoor cat. I have never understood people that let their pets run loose to get into trouble or get hurt! It's really senseless. I don't think it's the dogs fault, it's the owners fault for not taking proper care to keep the dog contained and happy and away from doing harm to others. The owner should be held responsible for what the dog did. Yes, I would be worried about my kids and I'd not let them go out there until the dog was contained.
P.S. My dog protects/sleeps with our cat and loves our cat...not all dogs are aggressive toward cats or others.
poor cat i think you have a right to be worried my dog turned around and bit me on the leg and i now can't go near him i want to but i can't
To many dogs, a cat is a prey animal and thier instinct is to chase and kill it, like your cat would kill a mouse.
Do your neighbors keep the dog fenced in? If not I would be worried as it shows irresponsibility on your neighbors part. I would also be worried if the dog is not neutered. Most dog attacks occur from unnutered males. Also, if the dog is on a chain all day long it may attack if it feels threatened as it has no where to run to.
I would make sure your kids know how to be safe around dogs. Make sure you kids know not to go near a dog that is growling, not to go near a dog that is eating, not to take away it's bone, not to hit it, pull it's tail, ect. When a dog attacks, it's usually because the kids were doing something they should have been taught not to do in the first place.
I would also talk with your neighbors about your concerns.
If the dog is neutered, up to date on shots, confined to it's yard, and your kids only play with it when you are there to supervise, I don't see a problem. Many dogs kill small animals and are still very friendly to people.
Thats terrible. I can sympathise with you here as this same thing has happened to one of my cats. Our neighbours dog got out of its yard and attacked my cat just feet away from the cat door. I was devastated. It was the second time this dog had gotten out, it killed a guinea-pig in our backyard as well. I was very angry at first as the owners didn't seem to give a rats a#$. This was a case of irresponsible dog ownership as the poor dog was in a small backyard and never walked. It was not the dogs fault...even though i was mad at the dog as well!
Did the accident happen in the neighbours yard? If so, this would be a very normal reaction for some dogs. Just because a dog sees cats as potential prey does not automatically mean that the dog will see children as prey as well. All children should always be supervised with any dog, but just because it killed your cat does not mean that it will go after your kids.
If you are considering another cat, keep it indoors or set up an outdoor enclosed cat run (or both). That way, this kind of thing will not be able to happen again.
My new cat is strictly indoors and she does not suffer for it. She is a very happy, healthy kitty.
My condolences for the loss of your kitty.

No comments:

Post a Comment