Friday, May 8, 2009

My hamster sudennly died!!?

Ok, My little bro had a small dwarf hamster named midnight, and Midnight died last night. He had been acting strange 4 days! He was having trouble moving his back legs and was making odd sqeaky noises when he breathed. When he walked , he stumbled, and we think it mght have been a nuerological problem. When he was dead, I was looking at him and saw a strange wound on his paw, he hadnt eaten anything strange, and he had an ubundant water supply! Does anyone have any suggestions as to why he died??
Answers:
Yes, I think it was likely neurological. But the neurological problem didn't cause his death directly. I think he had a cancerous tumor which progressed in size quickly (which it can do) along his spine. I think he got the wound from dragging himself around. Also, he may have chewed on his own paw. It was very likely numb, since the spinal cord had pressure placed on it. The spinal cord is vital to breathing since it helps regulate it.
Many smaller animals, such as hamsters, gerbils, domestic rats, mice, ferrets etc...often die of cancerous tumors. I don't know really why that is though.
So I don't think its anything you did. Hamsters have a very short life span to start with.
I'm sorry to hear about your loss though. I know it can be difficult.
Take care.
it'd help if I knew the age. but it could have been old age. or a disease
OK. he could have had an infection that has been going on. or if your brother put the hamster out in the open and had the fan on, this is also a BIG reason why inexperienced hamster owner's hamsters die. hamsters are from the desert and drafts are deadly to them. i am sorry to hear about your loss.
it was more than likely perfume or air fressaner.
oh that happened to my hamster. but she wasn't a dwarf hamster, she was a teddybear hamster. but their both hamsters and simalar...rodents. it was probably from weakness. my hamster died the next day too because she was acting really weird and squeeking really loudly. i think your hammie died of weakness
It's a possiblity that your hamster could've had wet tail which is a disease that is thought to be stress related and often affects young hamsters around the time of weaning, as this can be a stressful time. Wet tail is a bacterial infection or an imbalance of the natural bacteria in the hamster's stomach or intestine and is often confused with diarrhoea.

No comments:

Post a Comment