Sunday, August 2, 2009

Please help me, my rabbit died of flystrike and i want some advice, vets please help?

read my other question and you will see.
my problem now is that i just cant stop crying, i feel like its all my fault and im worried about how much pain he would of been in, please if you no let me no if he would of been in a lot of pain or if he would of gone into shock? i just feel so down about losing him esp the way he went, and i with a 8 month old i am finding life very hard at the moment, some people may think its just a rabbit but i am a massive animal lover and i this is the worst i have ever felt over a death of a animal, i feel to blame, and i feel soo miserable.
Answers:
Ohhh, I'm so sorry. Well, your first question, about how much pain he was in...he wasn't. Rabbit's central nervous systems shut down all pain mechanisms, (this is due to the "fight or flight" response. that protects them from pain when they are captured in the wild...this is why it's very hard to help a wild rabbit, that is injured or one found as an infant.) Fly strike is rare in house animals, but not unheard of...Did you keep your rabbit outside near a creek or wooded area? In the future, keep the rabbits indoors on a porch. Good luck! Please, try not to feel so badly, but, I know It's so hard when you lose a pet.
http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-12/fly-s...
It's not easy losing a family pet no matter what it is. The simple truth is, that the poor Rabbit required more attention than you could give it.
This year has been especially bad for flies, and with rabbits being fairly dirty (messing everywhere) the flies will strike, and kill rabbits that are not cleaned evry other day in the summer.
I'm so sorry for your loss. Flystrike is a horrible way to go, but honestly, it happens. It's unfortunate you were unable to do anything, but the thing with flystrike is that you have to catch it right away to really be able to do anything, anyhow. So...don't be so hard on yourself. You live, and you learn. It's highly likely that your rabbit went into shock, and then after that point slipped away.
I'm sorry I can't answer your question because I don't know the answer, but don't be too hard on yourself, you're obviously a really caring person with a big heart and even the best kept bunny can be afflicted. Even if it does turn out he was in pain as he died, I'm sure he had an incredibly happy life before then.
we had a rabbit with the same problem,he passed away within hours of going to vets,didn't seem to be in any pain but i was devastated. we had new rabbit and he was cleaned out every day, also we put a piece of net curtain over the hutch so flies couldn't get in, we did this throughout the hot weather and that rabbit died of old age.get yourself another pet, it won't be a replacement but will allow you to move on.
I know how you feel. I have lost sheep to fly strike and I feel so guilty, feeling I should have noticed straight away etc.
I dont know alot about rabbits but theres nothing you can do about it now. I know its hard but try to move on and dont dwell in guilt and misery. You will feel better after time.
i answered you question before ,fly strike is easily preventable ,your vet should stock a powder which you apply from April through out the summer every month,in the vets where i work and the local vets there are posters up on the wall stating fly strike is preventable,
i have a rabbit i use the powder and don't get fly strike,the rabbit is in pain with fly strike contrary to what the other answers say,
if you get another rabbit remember prevention is better than cure
So sorry to read of your loss. Today, I had my bunny "Sarah" put to sleep. I discovered her in her pen this afternoon, with a dirty bottom and inability to use her hind legs. I took her inside to clean her up -- and I was horrified to see all the maggots...I felt so ill. Sarah was my oldest bunny (10 y.o.) who often had a dirty bottom (her tummy was just built different and did not digest foods normally). The number of maggots was overwhelming, and they had already started to take over her body at the rear end. I guess it caused her "shock" and she became disabled. Yes, I feel guilty. But this evening I have done a lot of research into this, and now realize I had no idea this type of situation could come up. It is NOT even listed in the Rabbit care book I have!!
Sarah's bonded mate Tyler, is sad, as I am too.
Don't feel guilty %26 blame yourself. It is very common for rabbits to get fly strike even if you are a caring careful owner.Ive had 3 die of it.Powders to prevent it were not around then.I find that putting fly papers around the cage can be a great help.Go %26 get a new rabbit or guinea pigs %26 put it all behind you.Almost every person who has owned rabbits has had to deal with fly strike at some time.It's all over now %26 its time to move on %26 give a good home to another pet.

No comments:

Post a Comment