Sunday, August 2, 2009

Pigs for pets?


Answers:
Yes!! we have 2 pigs on the farm right now. they are very very very very smart and loving! i love my piggie (Dilanzo), and my brother's pig (charlie)
they are awesome animals!!!
NO
YES. Pigs make great pets, I had one when I was a kid. They are very clean and intelligent animals.
Way cool! you can, just treat it like a dog. Give it a bath, a leash and give it some leftovers of your food. Walk it, its just basicaly like a dog. just keep it clean, and cool throwout the day. if you have a farm, it doesn't matter, because you have tons of space! but if you live in urban areas, keep it in the house.
(now you want to make me get a pig!)
So I've heard, they make pretty good pets. And even the ones at my barn, though they are for meat, seem like they would make decent pets.
They are smarter than dogs believe it or not and are clean animals despite the muddy pig "stereotype". They are affectionate and usually not aggressive. They can be housetrained and taught to walk on a leash. I've seen some pigs do some nice tricks as well!
A few breeds I've heard of making good pets are the Kune Kune, Vietnamese Potbelly and a few others.
If you are considering a pig for a pet I would talk to some piggy owners face to face or at least by e-mail. They can give you a better list of pro's and con's, good breeds, and give you the information you want.
There are pot belly pig rescues you can talk to. People get them then they realize its not as "neat" as they thought.
There are rescue farms with plenty to choose from if you decide it is what you want
http://search.petfinder.com/search/searc...
Pigs are intelligent and lovely pets. I would however get some advice before you get started. As their body make up is similar to ours, they can suffer the same health problems as we do. My friend had a pot bellied pig. She had to get permission from the council to take it out for a walk and then she was only allowed to take him certain routes. (something to do with livestock transportation laws apparently) Her garden was also a 'pig sty' (pardon the pun) by the time he had finished rooting around in it. lol.
Not in an apartment!
If you have a big yard in the suburbs, or a small farm, sure. I hear they make wonderful, intelligent pets. But they're still livestock, too.
I asked the same question, and after doing some research..they do make great pets. They are loyal and very smart. But you have to make sure that you can have one where you live. I called before I got one to see and they are not allowed in the city. Even tho they can be like dogs...the city sees them as farm animals. So it really depends on what your city will allow..but if they say it is fine...then you should get one from a reputable breeder. Those back yard breeders might separate their piglets from mom too early because they want to give the illusion of a smaller pig. And some will say that they won't get any bigger than 30 pnd's Well that is not true. Most pigs will get up to the size of 150 pnds. Some will be as small as 60 pnds. But those are usually the females. So do some research on zoning laws and breeders and I think you will be happy.
i always wanted pet piggies i think they would be good pets,i have seen people with them for pets and they love them they come in the house and everything i want to get one but i have dogs so i dont trust my dogs,lol.good luck do ur research

No comments:

Post a Comment