Sunday, August 2, 2009

Please help - How long should a hay bale last for 2 horses? I think I might be overfeeding them.?

I'm feeding my neighbor's two horses once a day, and I'm taking about 4 days to use up one hay bale. Is this too much?
Answers:
It should take between 4 to 5 days for 2 horses.
It sounds like way too little. I would say it should last 2 days at the most. But, it depends on how heavy the bale is and how big the horses are and if they have any grass to eat or if they are just eating hay. If they have no grass, I would say they need more hay.
is it square bale or big round bale? for 2 i use half a square bale a day or 3 weeks for a round. all depends on breed and grass available.
if its a square bail i agree 2 days to use it up...depending on wheather or not they have another food source ie. grass.
a round bail takes a lot longer..i think the other persons estimate of 3 weeks sounds right.
It is possible for horses to overeat and become ill..but the majority..(unless purebreed i believe but could be wrong) of horses will be fine with a little extra food.
Sounds to me like you're way underfeeding them. again depending on the size of the horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment