Sunday, August 2, 2009

PLEASE HELP!! - How do i tell if my mare needs shoes?

I just bought a Danish WB mare about a month ago and she was shod only in front when we bought her. She threw a shoe about a week and a half ago and the farrier hasn't come to the barn yet. I hate bothering with shoes and would much rather her be barefoot. I do mostly dressage with her and a tiny bit of jumping. I ride her pretty much everyday. Can someone tell me if she should have shoes on or not? Thanks.
Answers:
Agreed, it's hard to tell if she needs shoes without seeing her in person.
A lost shoe is something of an emergency, you need to have your farrier out ASAP.
You can try her without shoes this time and just a good trim, and see how she does. A lot of times horses do just as well or better without shoes as they do with, especially since it sounds like you're only working her on softer surfaces.
Maybe have a FARRIER come out and look at her!! They would know!! Are you waiting for them to come for a routine call?? Call and get them out sooner! People here cannot see your horse!
my mare came shod but we wanted to go barefoot. do you do much roadwork, that wears feet. working on soft surfaces is fine for hooves. i would ask your farrier but a good indication if wether r not your mares feet are strong enough is if they crack often or are really soft. they could get worn too fast. there are boots you could get to protect soft feet with no shoes. my mums tb wore them when hacking as his hooves couldnt keep shoes. called boa boots...clip on!

No comments:

Post a Comment